Access/Disability Office Thurles

Welcome to MISU


Giving you a voice, helping you to use it, enriching your college experience

The Access Office supports students through their college years and provides information and advice on access issues.


Contact: Paula Hourigan 

Location: 124

Call Paula: 0504-20535

Email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

There are many supports offered by the Access and Disability Office to assist students. It is important to note that this list is not exhaustive  and other services and supports will be considered on an individual basis. 

  • Pre-entry advice and information
  • Liaising with academic and administrative departments
  • Financial assistance
  • Special accommodation for exams and disability supports
  • Drop-in support


Prospective students from under-represented groups in third level, including socioeconomically disadvantaged students, students with a disability, mature students, minority groups, are encouraged to contact the Access/Disability Officer to become familiar with the supports available.


The Student Welfare Fund (SWF)

 The Access/Disability Office administers the Student Welfare Fund which is an emergency discretionary fund is used to assist students at Mary Immaculate College. The fund originates directly from MISU and resources are targeted at those students most in need, on a once-off basis each year, subject to the availability of funding. Students who apply to the fund are assessed on an individual and confidential basis.


Application Procedure

Students are advised to meet with the Access/Disability Officer in the first instance. She will discuss the student’s need for financial assistance in the strictest of confidence. This may involve making a referral to other services within the College or linking with external agencies, as appropriate. She may also outline the application procedure and assist students in completing the SWF application form.

Students are required to return their completed application form directly to the Access/Disability Officer and must provide supporting documentation along with their application to verify their financial situation and requirements. Examples of other supporting documentation that may be required include the following:


Demand Notice

Receipts for expenditure incurred (e.g. medical emergencies)

Proof of Income e.g. confirmation of student grant, social welfare statements, pay slips/P.60 (if applicable)

Proof of Income for Parents/Spouse (if applicable).

Recent Bank Statement (which includes transactions for two calendar months).


When to Apply

This depends on a student’s individual circumstances if they feel they are in a crisis or emergency situation at any time during the academic year.


Categories of Funding

Funding is available under the following category;

Exceptional circumstances


Circumstances that may require emergency funding e.g. changes in circumstances or unforeseen difficulties during the academic year.

For further Information: Dee Kennelly, General Manager, Mary I Students’ Union (MISU), This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.